We’ve long known OSA has been associated with a higher prevalence of AF, and worsening AF control. We now know it’s also associated with many Cardiac Arrhythmias, including deadly Congenital long QT syndrome (LQTS).
LQTS is characterised by prolonged ventricular repolarization and increased risk of torsades de pointes. Those with LQTS usually present with seizures, syncope, even sudden cardiac death (SCD).
Shamsuzzaman (1) looked at patients with LQTS and performed sleep studies in them, and (not un-expectedly) they concluded that OSA in these patients were asscoiated with a worsening of their LQTS.
• OSA worsens QTc
• Worsening QTc is a biomarker for sudden cardiac death
• This worsening in their QTc was during wake, as well as sleep!
OSA has a profound impact on your Cardiac burden.
Adelaide’s resident Specialist Cardiologists at the Centre for Heart Rhythm Disorders (2) agree that it’s time we all acknowledged OSA’s impact on Cardiac Arrhythmias.
If you have a cardiac problem, whether it be a rhythm problem or otherwise, see us now.
1. Shamsuzzaman et al. Sleep 2015.
2. Dr Rajeev Pathak, Dr Rajiv Mahajan, Dr Dennis Lau, Prof Prashanthan Sanders. Sleep 2015
Call us now for an appointment if you’d like to discuss this further.
(1) Lang et al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015.