2017 Nobel prize winners : the first to be awarded in the field of Sleep Medicine!
Congratulations to the 2017 Nobel Prize Winners in Physiology or Medicine : Jeffrey C. Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W. Young. Their work was in discovering molecular mechanisms crucial to control of the circadian rhythm (body clock).
Hall, Rosbash and Young used fruit flies as specimens, isolating a gene that controlled the fly’s daily biological rhythm. From their work, this has led to a much better understanding of biological rhythms in other species… including humans.
Circadian Rhythm Disturbances (CRD) comprise a large proportion of Sleep Medicine, and accounts for a notable number of sleep disorders – particularly in childhood an adolescents.
At Adelaide Sleep, we loudly congratulate Hall Rosbash and Young for their ever-enduring work, and amazing accomplishments! Thankyou!
© APSS 2017
- The treatment of Narcolepsy including Sodium Oxybate (Xyrem) and Modafinil
- The Diagnosis of Narcolepsy and the MSLT
- The History of Narcolepsy – Excessive sleepiness in evolution
- 2017 Nobel prize winners : the first to be awarded in the field of Sleep Medicine!
- Diaphragm pacing for Central Sleep Apnoea